PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN VIENNA
Some basic facts about public transportation are provided here.
Luckily, all means of public transportation within the city limits can be used with the same ticket:
- Underground (“U-Bahn”)
- Urban Railways (“S-Bahn”)
Various types of tickets are sold at tobacconists (“Trafik”), at vending machines in underground and S-Bahn stations and in some hotels. Even though there are also other options, it is highly recommended that you buy the ticket before you enter the means of transportation.
You can buy and print your ticket online! buy here
There are several types of tickets:
- Single ticket (2.20 Euros)
- Ticket with 4 single strips (8.80 Euros) – each strip is valid for one person and one zone. The whole city is one zone; a trip to the airport (by S-Bahn) requires a second zone (see the information in the arrival section). A multi-strip ticket can be shared by up to four people as long as everybody has his/her own strip. At vending machines (e.g. at the airport), you can also purchase tickets with 2 zones (=valid to go to the city).
- Weekly pass: valid Mo 0:00 a.m. – Mo 9:00 a.m.; transferable (16.20 Euros)
- Various tickets valid for a day or more
- 24 hours ticket (7.60 Euros)
- 48 hours ticket (13.30 Euros)
- 72 hours ticket (16.50 Euros)
- Half-price tickets are required for children (aged 6-15), dogs (except when carried in a container) and bicycles
Please refer to the public transportation website (Wiener Linien) for details on those kind of tickets. We can offer a special-price convention ticket for the public transport in Vienna, which can be combined with the City Airport Train ticket. Buy and print your ticket online here!
It seems quite easy to ride for free without a ticket. In principle yes, but naturally there are random inspections and if you are caught without a valid ticket, you have to pay a fine of 103 Euros (plus 2.20 Euros for the ticket).
Further information about public transportation in Vienna can be found at:
- Official Wiener Linien Webpage Operating all lines in Vienna metropolitan area (with Online-Shop for ticket purchase)
- Official VOR Webpage Operating all lines in greater Vienna (German only)
- Unofficial The Vienna Metro Webpage More comprehensive information on public transport in Vienna (English and German)